Sunday, April 24, 2005

Pickpockets and Sunburn

Greetings,

When last I wrote I was in Hanoi having just arrived there. So, what has been going on since there then?

Well, let me start by telling you that Hanoi was a really good place, lots to see and do there for the sight-seeing traveller like your humble narrator. I visited the mausoleum of Ho Chi Minh who was the leader of the communist regime in Vietnam. Am not really a person for dead bodies, but thought I would have a mosey on down there to see what the crack was.

By a curious coincidence Ho Chi Minh bears a frighteningly similar resemblance to the star of the Karate Kid films - Mr. Miyagi. See for yourself below. On the left is the leader of the Vietnamese communist regime Ho Chi Minh, while on the right is Wax-On, Wax-Off legend Mr. Miyagi!



After that, I went to the museum next door, the Confucian Temple of Literature, and then travelled to the prison where American POW's were kept. It was so funny to read all about how 'well' they were treat and all the nice things that they were given in the prison and three square meals etc. Aye right! Vietnamese propaganda at its best!

In the evening, we travelled to the 'World Famous' Hanoi Water Puppet show, which was pretty good if you like the childish splashing around of small dolls in a giant pool of murky green water. Fortunately, this is one of my favourite activities, so I had a great time. I also received a free CD of Vietnamese Music taken from the puppet show, so if its anyones birthday coming up when I am back home you might just be in for a treat!

After leaving the suicidal roads of Hanoi we travelled to Hue which was nice. Here there was the Imperial City which was supposed to have been modelled on Beijing's Forbidden City. That might well have been, but being as it has since been bombed it bears more of a resemblance to the pile of rubble in my Mam's back garden than the Forbidden City! Saying that though, there were still some buildings in tact and it was good to see those. The next day in Hue we took a cruise down the Perfume River. Don't be fooled. Unless the aforementioned scent was Eau to Water it was nothing like perfume! Still, there a cool Buddhist temple that we visited as we were sailing, and a couple more mausoleums (sans dead guys) so it was all good.

After Hue we travelled to Hoi An. Hoi An is famous for tailoring custom clothing to your exact measurements as ridiculously cheap discounted prices so as the old saying goes, when in Hoi An, do as the tourists do! All of these tailors shops (and there are a heck of alot of them) have Next Directories and various other catalogues in shop and you can just point to what you would like to be made and after a measuring and fitting, the next day you collect your brand spanking new clothes! Hoi An has been my favourite place so far in Vietnam, its a really quaint kind of place with meandering streets and loads of nice places to eat and drink (including Treats Bar which offers a Happy 'Hour' that is some 5 hours long and offers among other things 2 Double Vodka and Red Bull for 20,000 Vietnamese Dong; approximately 66 of your English Pence!). The whole of the Hoi An old town is a protected UNESCO World Heritage site with loads of temples, buildings and museums to check out.

During an evening out in Hoi An and another bout of Karaoke we travelled to an out of town club. After having been there for an hour or so everyone in the club was hurriedly ushered out the back entrance. Apparently the police were on their way to perform a drugs bust - excellent! Fortunately they failed to find the seven ounces of heroin that I had stashed about my person and I escaped scot-free!

Following Hoi An I travelled to Nah Trang for the night. Nothing much here save a touristy resort kind of place. Following a night out I was returning to the hotel and was approached by two individuals, who tried talking to me before taking off. A fraction of a second later, I find my wallet missing - I had been the subject of a most heinous pickpocketing. Not a happy chappy. After a hasty retracing of my steps I found my wallet safe and sound, but missing the half a million or so Vietnamese Dong that was previously present. D'oh. Fortunately, my debit card and the rest of my stuff was still there. I guess if that is the worst fate that befalls me in my travels, I will be return safe and sound.

After the night in Nah Trang I travelled by boat to Whale Island staying in fantastic beach bungalows right on the waterfront. Nothing much to report there except some killer sunburn while snorkelling and alot of chilling!

Following Nah Trang we took the overnight train to Ho Chi Minh City (previously Saigon), which is where I am now, so I will let you know my impressions about this place when I have formed them, so until then, take care and I will speak to you shortly.

Free Counter
Lasik