Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Fan-John of the Opera (House)

A tenuous blog post title at best, but still not the worst there's been I would argue!

How is everyone doing? I'm absolutely on top of the world thank you very much. Major reason for this update is that I had one of the most brilliant nights ever last night, and thought it prudent to inform you lot exactly what I have been up to.

Last night I went to the Sydney Opera House to enjoy a classic concert. Now, as anyone that knows me will know , I have a passion for classical music (you don't play the piano for over 18 years without getting a liking for at least some of the music you play I guess!). And, as some of you will also know, I absolutely detest opera music. Now this left me with a dilemma - I really wanted to go to the Sydney Opera House while I was here, but given my distaste for said genre of music, I didn't want to see an opera. An alternative or Plan B was required.

Plan B took the form of a classical concert featuring solely the works of Beethoven (I suppose you could say B for Beethoven and my favourite composer to boot!). I was expecting a fairly short performance or a couple of hours maybe featuring excerpts of various popular works (incidentally, the programme that was played at the concert was identical to one that Beethoven himself gave highlighting his greatest achievements). However, I was totally blown away to find that it was not excerpts, but a full programme featuring two symphonies, a piano concerto and choral singing works. In total, well over four hours. A Bumper Beethoven Bonanza I'm sure you'll argee.

Almost everyone will recognise the two symphonies that were performed, although probably not by name. The Fifth which goes dum-dum-dum-dummmmmmm, dum-dum-dum-dummmmmmm very loudly set my hair on end such was the emotion involved. As did his sixth symphony, the Pastoral, which although I can't describe adequately using the universal language of 'dum' everyone will know if they heard it.



The evening itself was absolutely incredible, the acoustics in the concert hall were absolutely incredible. You could hear everything from the softest pianissimo to the roaring fortissimo with complete clarity and without an echo that you might expect from such a large venue.

And, when I awake the very next morning I discover that overnight Newcastle beat Liverpool in the League - does life get any better than this!?

Free Counter
Lasik