Thursday, March 17, 2005

Not So Smelhi Dehli

Greetings to all from India. I hope you are all well and looking after each other.

Last time we talked I was just leaving Sydney for Delhi. Everyone warns against Delhi being a complete culture shock, being constantly harassed and it being smelly and stuff like that - but I didn't experience that at all; which is a good thing I guess. I arrived at the airport expecting the absolute worst, but everything was cool so that was good. The ride from the airport was 'interesting' as the roads and more particularly the drivers there are not so hot! Although we did arrive in style in an Ambassador car which was a bit stylish!

In Delhi, I met the rest of my group (who are all cool, so thats good news) and we spent the day in Delhi. First off, I saw Humayun's Tomb which was built in the 16th Century by the emperors widow. That was good so see, although the pricing strategy was interesting: Local people pay 10 rupees and tourists pay 250 rupees! I tried to pass myself off as a local but the guy at the desk was having none of it. Still, 250 rupees is about 3 quid sterling so you can't really complain!

Then we went to a Hindu temple for a look around then to the war memorial India Gate, which is alot like the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. The park area around the India Gate was a real treat. Me and another girl in our tour group (called Tracey) were the only westerners in the entire park area, so we got some looks I can tell ya!

Then we saw the famous Red Fort which was spectacular.

After leaving Delhi on the train we travelled to Pushkar. The trains were not the classic, stereotypical image you have of Indian Trains that you will do doubt have in your mind - although some of the areas of absolute poverty that we travelled through were so sad.

Pushkar was absolutely excellent. There we visited the Hindu Brahma temple. According to this religion Brahma was the creator of the universe. This Brahma temple is the only one in the world as Brahma's wife promised to curse those that ever built one after a bit of a spat with her hubby.

Pushkar is built around a Holy Lake, and during my second day there I was fortunate enough to partake in a special Hindu blessing ceremony on the shores of the lake praying for my and my friends and family's happiness for my travels and for the rest of our lives and hoping that we have good Karma in the future. The ceremony itself was superb. We offered various things to the gods by casting them into the lake. Absolutely incredible - I felt so amazing after it.

So, after another couple of temples in Pushkar, sunset by the Holy Lake and being pestered constantly by two strange men on our way up a hill to visit another temple, we left Pushkar and travelled to Pachewar.

Pachewar was a 'proper' Indian village. Really traditional people leading their everyday lives. We took a walk around the village and witnessed the making of clay pots and the traditional food stuffs (which were very tasty!) all accompanied by an entourage of some 10-20 smiling, laughing kids that were obviously loving the attention and talking to the strange visitors to their town.

In Pachewar we stayed in a 300 year old fort that the King of Rajasthan used to live in that has been converted to a hotel. This was absolutely class, so many cool bits and bobs to explore, although one of the girls (Kat) sensed some strange paranormal activity in her room as we were arriving. Fortunately, I didn't see anything in the haunted fort, although I did get 'attacked' by a bat there!! (well, OK, it flew close to me and scared the crap out ot me!)

Right, at the moment I am in Jaipur having just arrived not too long ago. So, I will leave the impressions of Jaipur till the next time. Looking forward to it! Take care mes amis, and watch this space.

Free Counter
Lasik