Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Adelaide

Unfortunately, I can't think of any form of a witty pun or play on words to incorporate Adelaide, so as a result you are stuck with a very mundane, non-cryptic yet still informative post title. The closest I could come up with was Adelaide having a similar sounding name to 'lemonade' but it is no use, I am beat. If anyone else should like to wrack their brain and think of something amusing, then I would love to hear it. E-mail me at the usual address, the winning entry will receive recognition on my blog for their genius.

Anywho, that said, whats the craic. Well, I am in Adelaide at the moment and have been for the past four days or so. I came here directly from Alice Springs on a not so pleasant 21 hour bus ride. Don't get me wrong, 21 hours is not bad in itself, in the past I have accomplished rides of similar durations, (including a monster 36 hourer) rather what made this particular trip so unpleasant was the sleep deprivation that I was suffering from at the end of it. Brevity is the key here so I will say only this: having a fat, incessantly snoring man sitting next to you on a bus through the night for 10 hours does not ensure a good nights sleep. And anyone that knows me, knows that; a John without good sleep is not a Happy John.

Alas! I digress. Adelaide is what were about here. My impressions of this place are highly favourable. This place is great for just wandering around. The beach is just a short tram ride away and there is great duck feeding and chilling out spots down by the riverside. There is a good museum with alot of aboriginal artifacts, and there is a superlative art gallery with everything in from The Dutch Masters, the renaissance through Warhol right up to modern art (including, and I jest you not: a lifesize replica of a rhinoceros cast in fibreglass, spray-painted fluorescent yellow and mounted with its hooves on the wall). Theres good shopping, great coffee shops for refreshments, the Adelaide Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Quality architecture and picturesque buildings abound and all within a very concentrated area of the city centre.

All in all, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Adelaide and would recommend a visit here to all, its a top place indeedy.

Now that my work for the Adelaide Tourism Board is complete, I am off to Melbourne, and I'll speak to you shortly.

Free Counter
Lasik