Friday, January 21, 2005

10,000 Feet Above The Sea

Well this is the latest moment of insanity for a while, but one that was so completely, totally awesome that it is almost impossible to describe. It's still hard to believe that I actually went through with it, but simply glancing back at the snapshots taken just a few hours ago confirms that, no it wasnt just a dream it did actually happen.

This is me, my tandem skydiving blokie Stevo and the pilot taken by out photographer/cameraman as we ascend to 10,000 feet above the glorious Whitsunday Islands.



This is me and Stevo just about to leap from a perfectly good airplane. Check out my grimace, grr!



This is the moment of sheer terror when I realise that, yes I did just jump out of an airplane. I think the look on the face says it all really. Look; you can see the airplane drifting off in the background.



But, after the initial shock, it was all good, it was all amazingly good. Here are some more photos of the freefall.









Unfortunately, there are no more photos after that as the guy with the camera had to open his own parachute, most inconsiderate I'm sure you will agree. But once the canopy was released the gentle float down to earth was amazing, just so beautifully peaceful and serene.

In my next life I would like to come back as a bird. But a nice bird like a soaring eagle or something cool like that, not some grotty, mangy pigeon scavenging for scraps of dropped pasties and the like!

To anyone who has considered possibly doing this I cannot recommend it enough. The ability to fly is something that man has craved since the dawn of time, and unless you are lucky and return, after death, in your next life as the aforementioned bird, this is as close as you are going to get to that feeling of complete freedom.

The freedom of flight. Incredible.

Free Counter
Lasik