Thursday, June 16, 2005

And Now, The End Is Near

Greetings,

So, what has been going on since the last update. Well, when we last spoke I was in Singapore preparing to check out is numerous sights.

First stop was the Singapore Art Museum which was excellent, lots of quality exhibitions and plenty of hands-on stuff for the kids (and me!). Following this we took a ride down the Singapore river which was really good; if not for the fantastic sights and historical commentary then, one of the funniest things I've ever seen: namely an Indian man trying his absolute hardest not to fall off to sleep, who kept jolting himself upright when he almost dozed off! Following this a visit to Chinatown was in order, all in all a good day!

The following day we (we being Heather, Zoe-Lou, Gary, Nick and myself) spent pretty much the entire day at the Singapore Zoo which was awesome. Far too many animals to list them all, but the highlights were mandrills (think Rafiki from The Lion King and you're there!), polar bears, massive crocodiles (and I mean massive!), the seal show and the Malaysian Tigers. After covering the entire zoo during the day, we hung around till after dark for the Nighttime Safari which again was excellent. Driving around in the dark for a glimpse of the night-time animals in their nocturnal habitat was excellent and slightly scary too - especially when the entire tram load of us were told, under no circumstances to use flash photography as it may confuse, agitate and provoke some of the larger animals to attack - didn't stop some people though! Highlight of this was undoubtedly the giraffes.

The next day was to be my last in Singapore, so naturally we (we being the same we as yesterday's we) did what every tourist in Singapore does; goes to Raffles Hotel for Singapore Sling cocktails! Very nice actually! This was then brought back down to my usual level with a visit to Hooters for my final leaving drink!

I bid an emotional and tearful farewell to Heather, Zoe-Louise, Gary and Nick at the airport - Cheers guys, it was a pleasure doing my last trip with you!

I am now in Cape Town having completed the sights I was able to in a couple of days, but really, I've seen what I wanted. I have visited the lovely marina and waterfront area for a stroll, the Castle of Good Hope, the South African Museum and the South African National Gallery (all excellent).

Its pretty nippy here in Cape Town, and I was most concerned, due to inclement weather conditions, that I would be able to neither see nor visit Cape Town's most famous; Table Mountain. In fact, in the two days before today I hadn't seen it at all (and it is only a stones throw away form the city!). But, thankfully the weather today is glorious - the sort of brisk, crisp, English-type spring day that makes one glad that they are alive - and I got to see and visit the wonderful sight. Unfortunately though, the top of the 'table' was covered in what is known as the 'tablecloth', i.e. a fine layer of cloud that sits atop the mountain, so when I was at its summit the vistas were mostly cloudy, misty views of; well, cloud, rather than the city below. This was a shame, but the cable car ride up to the summit (before I got entangled with the 'tablecloth'!) was amazing, the views over the remainder of Cape Town, Signal Hill, the Lions Head and the Lions Rump were incredible.

Well, such a spectacular sight to finish seems rather fitting really, considering all the other spectacular things I've both seen and done over the past months.

So within the next couple of days, I will be back in England, a very scary thought indeed. All that remains is to thank friends, family and well-wishers for reading this, I have really enjoyed writing it I have to admit. Who knows, when I get back to my ordinary, mundane life, I may continue to write my thoughts on day-to-day life. Although logging onto "john's ordinary, mundane life" webpage as opposed to "john's travels" doesn't have quite the same twang does it!?

Just want to say a massive hello to everyone that I have met on my travels (can't list you all, but you know who you are!) who still keep in touch with me - you guys and girls really have made it what it was - the most incredible experience I have ever had!

Keep in touch, wherever you are - you never know, your bed/sofa/floor/shed could easily be called into use by me if I am in your neighbourhood at some point in the future! And, equally, my bed/sofa/floor/garage (sorry, we don't have a shed!) are always open should you wish to stay with me, are you ever in my vicinity!

Finally, I just want to thank my Mam and Dad back home, without whom none of this would have been possible. I love you both, and I will be with you shortly!

This is not really the end, I will be posting recent pictures and reflections on life when I get back home, so keep checking!

Keep it real, keep in touch and keep safe.

Love,
John x

Free Counter
Lasik